menu corner
Home | Calendar | Magazine | Notice | Career | Contact Us
spacer
Objective | About Us | History | Management | Faculty | Admission spacer
Academics | Centres | Events & Activities | Achievements | Gallery

History behind conception

Shri Himchandbhai Shah

Shri Himchandbhai Shah

The Gujarati medium school was founded to fulfill the then new migrant families from Gujarat who had come to Bengal. In 1945 Shri Himchandbhai Shah, Saudamanibhan and some well wishers of the Gujarati community opened a Montessori School with a vision to provide quality education to the children of the Gujarati Community.

On 31st August 1945 the school was registered under the society's registration Act. 1860 as “Shree Bhawanipur Gujarati Balmandir”. The managing committee by constitution is a ladies forum. It is the selfless service by the honorable members of the Gujarati Community of Kolkata over last 60 years,  that has been contributed to the development of Shree Bhawanipur Gujarati Balmandir.  The school has been silently serving the noble cause of providing vital education and moral foundation to our children.

While fostering motherly care to the students, the Institution grew from a very modest beginning made in the pre Independent India into a well formed Montessori, Primary School and keeping pace always with changing time and Technology.

Society has valued the significant contribution of Balmandir and has always come forward with meaningful participation.

Growth of Balmandir

Smt.Shantabahen Patel

Smt.Shantabahen Patel

Shantabahen Patel with childrenThe selfless contribution of our Guruji , Shri Ambalal Rawal and the able guidance, trained supervision and devoted service of Smt. Shantabahen Patel, a very well respected figure in the educational circle of Kolkata, led to the foundation of Balmandir. Balmandir started in a small way in one room in 7a, Elgin Road with only 5 children of age group 3 to 4 years.

Shantabahen Patel with childrenWith the increase in the number of students, the school shifted to a bigger premise, 25 Justice Chandra Madav Road. In 1952 the school moved to its present location at 20/1, Ram Mohan Dutta Road, Kolkata-700020, with over the 100 students. By 1961 “Balmandir” was able to provide education to over 600 students till class IV. With the changing need of society the medium of instruction was changed from Gujarati to English in 1984.

Shantabahen Patel
with children, 1945 batch

The teachers, the management and every single individual working in/for the institution is inspired to focus on the child - the student.

Our job is to create an atmosphere where all round growth and development of the child takes place. We facilitate and inspire the child to nurture and refine their existing talent and capabilities.

We aspire to go beyond the school premises/hours/ by creating an atmosphere in the child's home and family which will inspire him/her to achieve higher goals.

To the path of further Development

In 1984, the medium of instruction was changed to English from Gujarati as education in India was being recognized at International levels.
In 2000, the school opened its doors to the children of other communities.
In 2004, in its Diamond Jubilee year, Balmandir became a High School under the newly christened name ‘Vidyanjali'.

 

© Copyright Vidyanjali School bottomcorner